There is a disconnect between skill development and traditional strength and conditioning.
Human movement training has not changed in decades—athletes train in the gym, or people undergo therapy in clinical settings, and then try to translate those efforts into the authentic environment of the court, field, work, or life.
Unfortunately, these traditional approaches and rehabilitation methods cannot replicate the skill-based competencies required for live competition or activities of daily living because they do not equally engage the body and neurological responses. The concept of unequal engagement of neurological response has burdened efforts applied in performance, military, wellness, and rehabilitation/healthcare.
Chris Tedesco (the founder of the Company, inventor of the Neuropak, Marine Corps Veteran, and nationally recognized training expert) was approached by the U.S. military special operations community to develop a training tool. It needed to be simple and effective that would allow military personnel to perform authentic, skill-specific training without the limits of traditional equipment and methods.
Chris Tedesco and team developed a Patented lightweight, easy to use, wearable corrective training device that applies continuous, calibrated resistance to the limbs using user-defined attachment points. The device is constructed with specialized dynamic cords that extend from the device and attach to the user’s limbs in multiple configurations. This Patented design facilitates the adaptive neurological responses of skills-based training while applying continuous, active resistance throughout all ranges of motion to improve every aspect of training without impeding natural movement. Thus the “Neuropak” was born—with the original purpose of letting warfighters train like they fight—training not only their bodies, but also the neuromuscular responses critical to skills-based activities.
The benefits of the Neuropak are not just limited to the military and have been introduced to other markets dependent upon human motion health, rehabilitation, and performance. The creation of the Neuropak Training System is the first solution that bridges the gap between functional skill-specific performance training and corrective exercise (injury rehab/prevention) as a single comprehensive platform. This unrestricted training system improves performance in authentic training environments, improving the quality of movement, reducing the risk of injury, and offering a simple yet robust tool that quickly and effectively helps any user move better.
How It Works
The Neuropak increases the activation of the neuromuscular response associated with any skills-based activity via applying continuous, calibrated resistance to the user’s limbs in a novel, robust, and user-defined manner. The application of this resistance improves neural plasticity and adaptation associated with muscle memory and stabilizes and conditions muscle groups to improve movement quality and reduce injury risk. In an initial test-retest validation study of the Neuropak in a validated markerless motion analysis system, the device demonstrated statistically significant improvements in mobility, stability, performance, asymmetry, and movement quality by an average margin of 30.25% increase over baseline after just one use.
The Neuropak method provides an efficient, effective, and user-friendly approach to human performance, rehabilitation, or injury prevention: Simply wear the device, and move better. This approach improves muscle memory without constraining the activity itself or preventing the execution of smooth, natural movement. The ability to “train how you play/fight/work/live” for athletes, military personnel, workers, those trying to recover from injury or disease, or anyone just living their daily lives, will fundamentally shift the paradigm of training, recovery, and healthy human movement in general.
Neuropak Validation Key Takeaways:
- Neuropak has immediate, beneficial effects on human movement quality and biomechanical performance.
- Reduce injury risk and improve skills-based competency with one robust training system.
- Immediate improvement in the quality of movement means an immediate reduction in injury risk, yielding better biomechanics that translates to better movement, for longer.
- Less injury, more stability yields longevity.
- Immediate improvement in the performance of the movement means immediate benefit for creating muscle memory/neural adaptation to hone skills-based activities
- Immediate improvement relative to baseline indicates that the Neuropak can accelerate training and more effectively translate training into the better execution of skills-based activities after a single use.
- If you’re not using the Neuropak, you’ll have to train longer and harder for similar results.
- Further study is needed to document the cardiovascular benefits of the device, although it will obviously have a positive effect on cardiovascular training.
- The Neuropak has applications in any skills-based proficiency or human movement application: performance/tactical training, rehabilitation, physical therapy, general motion health/lifestyle.
The benefits of the 1109 Bravo Neuropak device include:
- Neuro-Cognitive Learning – Accelerated Performance-Based Learning, Decision-making process, shoot/no shoot scenarios
- Neuromuscular Conditioning – Quicker reaction and sustainability of any critical skills
- Neuromuscular Re-education – The Neuropak increases power, provides lasting endurance, better coordination, ability to repeat maximum force in the desired direction with less effort and concentration.
- Training Efficiency – 1109 Bravo Neuropak transitions users away from ineffective training methods and bad habits, develops strength and endurance, new ranges of motion, enhances posture, refines and conditions critical skills.
- Injury Prevention – 1109 Bravo Neuropak self-corrects movement patterns that create injury and reduce performance, directs skill performance toward the correct methodology that reduces injury and allows for effective and efficient performance
- Aerobic/anaerobic Conditioning of the cardiovascular system – Due to an intense Co-contraction that the device places on the kinetic chain throughout the body simultaneously, there is an increased demand and conditioning of the cardiovascular system to drive blood and oxygen throughout the body to all the contracting muscles
- Force Coupling of the muscles by activating “muscle groups” rather than an isolation exercise. This will ultimately increase stability in the joint or region that is engaged, increase proprioception, and decrease the likelihood of injury. SEE PNF PRINCIPLES BELOW FOR MORE DETAIL
- Core Competencies – Shot fatigue, accuracy under an increased fatigue protocol, time on target, reaction time on shoot no shoot drills, speed reloads, transition drills
The 1109 Bravo Neuropak training system bridges the gap between functional skill specific performance training, corrective exercise (injury rehab/prevention) and is a comprehensive assessment platform.
Take a Deeper Dive
The human body is equipped to adapt/learn and stabilize itself through homeostasis. By nature of training in the skills needed for your specific sport or occupation and not disconnecting cardio, strength training, skill development. You will condition your cardiovascular (fitness), nervous system, brain, endocrine system (regulates hormones) specific to your critical skills. So, the brain, cardiovascular system, endocrine system (regulates hormones) and nervous system when put in those environments will intuitively know what to do and become much more efficient through skill specific conditioning utilizing the 1109 Neuropak.
The 1109 Bravo Neuropak is a wearable training system that will support and accelerate the human body’s natural ability (homeostasis) to adapt, learn and grow in the dynamic environments that may be required through neuromuscular engagement.
The Neuropak doesn’t define your potential. The Neuropak allows you to reach true potential by supporting your efforts through user-defined technology.
“Sharpen your Brain, Sharpen your Game”
The two areas of human development that are strategically targeted in the areas of Neuroplasticity and Proprioception.
Neuroplasticity, also called brain plasticity, is the process in which your brain’s neural synapses and pathways are altered as an effect of environmental, behavioral, and neural changes.
This is accomplished by 1109 Bravo primarily due to strengthening with resistance in a functional way. The key component is task-specific functional testing and training.
Neuroplasticity for lack of better words is reprogramming the hardware “central nervous system” in your body starting in the brain that will send faster conditioned “reflex signals” that are specific to elite critical skill patterns and be sustainable even under fatigue.
Proprioception: The ability for joints and limbs to sense stimuli arising within the body regarding the position, motion, and equilibrium. Even if a person is blindfolded, he or she knows through proprioception if an arm is above the head or hanging by the side of the body
To improve or retrain proprioception, weight bearing through upper extremities during exercise helps trains proprioception. In addition outside perturbations from bands during all exercises improves proprioception as well.
Currently, the method of developing speed and reflex in these movements are done by repetitive shooting drills. The more time you get in practice it will condition a quicker draw stroke for example.
I have developed a training system that not only develops neuroplasticity and increased proprioception. It does so in a fraction of the time while taking a much more comprehensive approach to affect the aerobic/anaerobic conditioning “fitness” but, also will allow for assessment of skill competencies and directly improve accuracy in any firing position.
The 1109 Bravo Training System bridges the gap between functional skill specific performance training, corrective exercise (injury rehab/prevention) and is a comprehensive assessment platform.
Assess While You Train:
1109 Bravo Neuropak allows teams to identify with induced fatigue protocols an individual’s proficiencies against their teammates which provides the individual and the entire team an opportunity to be confident that each member is dialed in at the same level.
Correct in Real-Time:
Identify biomechanical deficits such as “right-hand dominance” or “external rotation of the knee” and have the ability to rehabilitate and correct the deficiency by training with the device during your current tactical training regimen.
Neuro-Cognitive Learning/Embodied Cognition for Learning:
A great deal of the scientific research and academic dialogue related to brain-based learning has been focused on neuroplasticity—the concept that neural connections in the brain change, remap, and reorganize themselves when people learn new concepts, have new experiences or practice certain skills over time.
Scientists have also determined, for example, that the brain can perform several activities at once; that the same information can be stored in multiple areas of the brain; that learning functions can be affected by diet, exercise, stress, and other conditions; that “meaning” is more important than “information” when the brain is learning something new.
For example, instructors may design lessons or classroom environments to reflect conditions that facilitate learning—e.g., they may have students engage in physical activity with different environmental stressors.
When the CNS and PNS are properly engaged with the 1109 Bravo Neuropak. It will stimulate the nervous system and make it more receptive to receiving and sending chemical signals which will accelerate learning the task or skill in the context of the leadership, problem-solving, and decision making.
One of the key principles in learning and putting the nervous system in the right mode is mindfulness of the task being performed. Basically, focusing and getting into the zone of what you are doing.
Non-Stimulate Based Cognitive Enhancement
With the 1109 Neuropak we can avoid the stimulate based supplements (Monster drinks, 5-Hour Energy) and drugs (Adderall, Provigil, NuVigil, etc..) by naturally engaging the endocrine system to release dopamine, serotonin, amongst other hormones through activation of the motor neurons and PNS. Stimulates by nature will de-sensitize the nervous system and the individual will “crash” without additional artificial stimulates thus creating dependency.
After a single use, overall Results:
The Neuropak demonstrated an average of 30.25% improvement across all major categories:
- Mobility (defined as improvements in range of motion)
- Performance (improvements in squat depth and jump height)
- Stability (defined as improvement in control of the body by limiting deviations from the primary plane of movement)
- Motion Quality (defined as improvement in the quality of movement by minimizing asymmetry and minimizing vulnerability to injury)
This means after one single use, the Neuropak improved the quality of movement overall by 30.25% as well as reduced the risk of non-contact soft-tissue injury by 30.25%
Jump heights immediately improved:
- Vertical Jump: 3.2 inch increase
- Drop Jump: 0.8 inch increase o Squat Depths improved:
- Left leg unilateral squat depth: 5 inch increase in depth
- Right leg unilateral squat depth: 1 inch increase in depth
Neuropak Validation Benefits at each Joint:
• Specifically, after one use, each joint benefited on average in the following ways:
67 of the 142 data points exhibited statistically significant improvement
- Mobility improved 23.38% in all planes
- Shoulder asymmetry was reduced by 66.21%
- Mobility improved by 43.77% in all planes
- Dynamic control of the spine improved by 27.45%
- Asymmetries in spinal movements were reduced by 36.74%
- Mobility improved by 17.27%
- Dynamic control of hips improved by 16.62%
- Asymmetries at the hips were reduced by 58.38%
- Mobility improved by 10.89%
- Dynamic control of the knees improved by 38.23%
- Asymmetries at the knees were reduced by 54.06%
- Mobility improved by 17.62%
- Dynamic control of the ankle improved by 29.17%
- Asymmetries at the ankles were reduced by 26.03%
- Hungate, Joel, Using 3-Dimensional Motion Analysis to Evaluate the immediate effects of a novel, wearable corrective training device on Biomechanical mobility, stability, asymmetry, and vulnerability to Musculoskeletal injury, DARI Motion Internal Validation, 2018
- Mosier et al, Movement Analysis via Motion Capture System Helps Identify Injury in At-Risk NCAA D1 Football Players—A Preliminary Study, NSCA, Indianapolis, 2018
- CMSgt Joshua Smith, USAF BA Prep Superintendent Lackland JBSA: Integration of Technology into the Daily Training of a Battlefield Airman Candidate, TSAC, April, 2018 Norfolk, VA.
- Moodie, Patrick, Internal DARI Motion Reproducibility Master Validation, Data on file with FDA 510k Submission
- Zhu L, Sulsky SI, Bulzacchelli MT, Hill OT, Kardouni JR. “Risk factors for training-related injuries during U.S. Army basic combat training.” Oral presentation, Military Health System Research Symposium. August 15-18, 2016. Orlando/Kissimmee, FL.
- Sulsky SI, Bulzacchelli MT, Zhu L Kardouni JR, Hill OT. “For want of a nail: Incomplete data and missing documentation in administrative data hamper medical research.” Poster presented at the Military Health System Research Symposium. August 15-18, 2016. Orlando/Kissimmee, FL.
- Knapik, JJ, Canham-Chervak M, et al. Discharges during U.S. Army basic training: injury rates and risk factors. Mil Med, 2001;166(7):641-7.
Principles that are used with the Neuropak:
The ability of this device to add tactile input to key muscles and joint DURING a sport or job-specific task is KEY. This allows the user to better train the correct positioning and activation of the muscle groups that are actually used during the activity.
- 2) Proprioception In regards to Tactile input the proprioception of the associated joints and muscles will allow training during the activity that would take hours of training with NON-sport or job-specific tasks.
- 3) Co-contraction/Force Coupling
By having multiple points of resistance there is thought to be a natural tendency for stabilizing muscles groups and core muscles to activate. In addition, there is co-contraction that happens between core muscles, lower extremities, and upper extremities. Co-contraction is known to improve the stability of the associated joints and muscles. By activating core and stabilization muscles groups during a sport or job-specific activity you will improve muscle and joint endurance and performance during live sport or job-specific activities.
The 1109 Bravo Training System bridges the gap between functional skill specific performance training, corrective exercise (injury rehab/prevention) and is a comprehensive assessment platform.
The 1109 Bravo is 2.5 lbs. and created from carbon fiber and titanium. It is fully adjustable on each side for desired resistance level and each unit is built and adaptable to heights ranging from 5’ to 6’5” with no additional modifications.
WHAT IS PNF and WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
- PNF = PROPRIOCEPTIVE NEUROMUSCULAR FACILITATION. PROPRIOCEPTIVE REFERENCES ANY OF THE SENSORY RECEPTORS THAT PROVIDE INFORMATION CONCERNING MOVEMENT AND POSITION OF THE BODY. NEUROMUSCULAR REFERENCES THE NERVES AND MUSCLES.
- THE PURPOSE OF THE 1109 BRAVO DEVICE IS TO STIMULATE A CHANGE IN PNF OR IN A NEUROMUSCULAR RESPONSE TOWARD NORMAL FUNCTION
- OVERFLOW – STRONG HELPING THE WEAK. STRONGER MUSCLE GROUPS WITHIN A PATTERN PLUS STRONGER PATTERNS ARE UTILIZED TO INCREASE THE RESPONSE OF THE WEAKER MUSCLE GROUPS.
- DIAGONALS – REPRESENTATIVE OF THE MASS MOVEMENT PATTERN CHARACTERISTIC OF NORMAL MOTOR ACTIVITY. EACH DIAGONAL CONTAINS THREE COMPONENTS OF MOTION: EXTENSION/FLEXION, ABDUCTION/ADDUCTION, AND ROTATION – THE MOST IMPORTANT FOR TREATMENT.
- DEVELOPMENTAL SEQUENCE – REPRESENTATIVE OF HOW WE DEVELOPED FROM INFANCY TO ADULTHOOD – ACHIEVING SOME MOVEMENT, TRUNK CONTROL, THEN MOVEMENT OF THE EXTREMITIES ON A STABLE TRUNK, AND LASTLY SKILLED ACTIVITIES.
- INCREASED POWER
- LASTING ENDURANCE AND RESILENCY
- BETTER COORDINATION AND KINETHSTETIC AWARENESS
- ABILITY TO REPEAT MOTION WITH LESS EFFORT AND CONCENTRATION FOR EXTENDED PERIODS
- ALLOWS USER TO ACHIEVE MAXIMUM FORCE IN A DESIRED DIRECTION SINCE ANTAGONIST MUSCLES ARE RELAXING.
- TRANSITIONS USER AWAY FROM INEFFECTIVE TRAINING METHODS AND BAD HABITS
- DEVELOPS STRENGTH AND ENDURANCE AND RESILENCY
- IMPROVES ALL RANGES OF MOTION
- ENHANCES POSTURE BY INTRINSIC STABALIZATION OF THE CORE AND SPINE
- SELF-CORRECTS MOVEMENT PATTERNS THAT CREATE INJURY AND REDUCE PERFORMANCE
- DIRECTS SKILL PERFORMANCE TOWARD CORRECT METHODOLOGY THAT REDUCES INJURY AND ALLOWS FOR EFFECTIVE AND EFFICIENT PERFORMANCE.
- 2-WEEK ADAPTATION TIME FOR INCREASE IN PERFORMANCE
- REDUCED TRAINING TIME AND LOADS
- REHABILITATES IN FUNCTIONAL WAY SPECIFIC TO HOW AND WHERE YOU ARE INJURED
- DUE TO REHABILITATION CONSISTENT WITH MOVEMENT PATTERN THE NERVOUS SYSTEM WILL BE CONDTIONED TO “TRUST THAT PATTERN AGAIN” ULTIMATELY, AVOIDING RE-INJURY.
- ELIMATES INEFFECTIVE REHAB METHODS
- REDUCES PAIN
- TREATMENT APPROACH IS ALWAYS POSITIVE IF DONE IN A FUNCTIONAL WAY
- USES THAT WHICH PATIENT CAN DO, ON A PHYSICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL LEVEL
- IMPROVES PATIENT’S PERFORMANCE OF FUNCTIONAL ACTIVITIES.